Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Symbols or the the lack off??


So today in American studies a "heated" argument arose. The argument was over with symbols can be in on the spot photography. Some people were making the claim that there cant be symbols in this type of photography because there was no "intention" for symbols to be in the photograph, and that symbols do not occur naturally in the "real" world. I disagree with this claim I think they do occur it just depends on how you interpret the photos. When I first look at the photo above, the first word I associate with it is patriotic. This association turns this image into a symbol in my mind. I think anyone who has thoughts and opinions turn any image they see into a symbol. I think its Human nature to associate any images with symbols and beliefs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel that the argument this morning stating that symbolism cannot be found in spot photography can be attributed to the fact that we know the back story to the incident. Because we know that this action was in the heat of the moment violence, we disregard any "symbolism" that could ensue, but I feel that if one sees this picture without knowing the story, one can find a lot of symbolism in it. Same goes with the Iwojima, Flags of our Fathers photograph. I know the story behind that picture from the movie by Clint Eastwood, thus, I don't find much symbolism in the photograph. Countless others though would disagree and find symbolism of great American pride in the photo. So I guess it all depends on whether you know the story or not, that's how I'd judge a photo.

OC said...

Interesting choices here, Luke. This photo will arise later in our book as well. Two important points, though: 1) the world is full of symbols (stop lights, street signs of course, but also subtler ones like gang signs or markers of class -- say, shoe brands or cars or neighborhoods as symbols of wealth -- or race, gender). Every scene is chock full of symbols, some more meaningful than others and, only critical thinkers "see" them sometimes for what they are. 2) the range of what symbols mean is limited to a set of referents (like connotations we've talked about all year). It's not true that everything can mean anything a viewer or reader wants it to mean. If I see a woman with a ring on the left ring finger of her left hand, I assume she's married. The ring is a symbol. If it's a pop top from a Dr. Pepper, I assume she's playing a game or is poor. If she's wearing a huge diamond, I assume she has a lot of money. If the ring were on her pinky, I would NOT assume she was married. nor, in any of these scenarios, would I assume she is a Lord of the Rings fan, or a space alien.

Flight of the concords