Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Flag State



Or as it is more commonly called the lone star State. Yes I am talking about Texas, so this past spring brake I was in Texas. One thing I noticed while I was there was, there were flags everywhere and not just American flags but the Texas state flag. At this point I can recognize their state flag faster then Illinois. I luckily took pictures of the flags but unfortunately it was out of a moving car. Texas reminded me of Illinois just 2 months after 9/11.
Does have more flags makes Texas a more patriotic state? (People with the letters M And X in their name can not respond) Or is Texas just a state that believes in the myth of the Cowboy and the MYTH OF THE FLAG?
Here are some pictures I took all are of poor quality due to the fact I was shooting from a moving car









3 comments:

maddie hilbrant said...

Luke this is such an interesting post. I like how you looked at the symbolic meaning of the American flag in Texas rather than in general. I definitely think that Texas lives up the MYTH of the Western Cowboy and as I said in class today, I would argue that most people in Texas go along with that cowboy myth just because it's what Texas is known for.

Max Rice said...

I know im not supposed to respond, but I was also not supposed look both ways before I cross the street and since I luckily ignored that I knocked over a cyclist. I was going respond to this, but I decided to blog about it instead so head on over to my blog guys.

Unknown said...

No thanks max, I'll stick around here. One time I was with a person with a name with the letters m and x in them, and that person told me that in Texas schools k-8 they teach Texas history. This I'm sure is a parallel to the Texas flag being flown higher than the American flag. Texans generally have a large, to say the least, pride in themselves and their state. So perhaps that should be considered in your question.

Flight of the concords